Plugins allow you to add additional features to your website. Below, is a list of Plugins and links to help optimise your website for search engines.
I'll take you through the plugin installation process, then all you need to do is Copy the name of the plugin to find it in the Plugins directory. All the plugins I suggest are completely FREE.
To add a WordPress Plugin using the built-in plugin installer, login to your admin dashboard:
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- Type in the name of the WordPress Plugin or descriptive keyword, author, or tag in Search Plugins box e.g. Yoast SEO.
- Find the WordPress Plugin you wish to install.
- Click Details for more information about the Plugin and instructions you may wish to print or save to help setup the Plugin.
- Click Install Now to install the WordPress Plugin.
- The resulting installation screen will list the installation as successful or note any problems during the install.
- If successful, click Activate Plugin to activate it, or Return to Plugin Installer for further actions.
Yoast SEO are the leading specialist in Search Engine Optimisation; they even consult Facebook! Their FREE SEO plugin is a must have. Once you've installed it, visit their website, signup for their Newsletter and you'll get a FREE eBook on SEO. They have heaps of other eBooks you can invest in - well worth it.
You can also find more information by Team Yoast on how to professionally optimise your own WordPress website:
The definitive guide to higher rankings for WordPress sites
WP Smush will automatically compress your photos and images. This will dramatically speed up your website, and guess what...speed is a huge factor for SEO on Google. The faster your website, the more Google will love you.
WP Super Cache is an easy to use bit of kit. It will speed up the loading of your website by, basically, turning your website into static files, making them quicker to download for your audience. Again, loading speed will increase your visibility with Google.
SEO by Google
Google have a great eBook for you to download that takes you through how to optimise your website. Learning how to do your own SEO is a great time investment.
Download Googles eBook
Here are some quick tips form Google:
Steps to a Google-friendly site
Always update your WordPress site and plugins. It will ensure the software runs at its best and enhances speed performance. It also ensures the code used for WordPress and the plugins is current and correct.
Security is a huge factor with WordPress; the updates will always fix any security concerns.